[Facts] Child-friendly games causes more aggression than violent games.

Started by The Lovin Spoon, Apr 09, 2014, 07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lovin Spoon

The gaming industry is often accused of being influenced to commit violent acts, but new research noticed in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology claims that it is mostly child-friendly games, rather than violent ones, which causes aggression.

In one experiment they made players dip their hands in ice cold water and then play Tetris with best ability. They then noticed that it is above all the feeling of lacking control over the game that creates frustration.

"A damaged ego is more likely to hurt others or hurt verbally," explained Richard Ryan, a psychologist from the University of Rochester.

The investigation testified 300 people playing regularly about the lack of control aroused feelings of anger and frustration. It is therefore possible to conclude, says Richard Ryan, the media are often too quick to assume that it is primarily violent games, rather than poor game mechanics, which is the source of violent acts.

Source: Gamestop

Eternal_Jamie

Interesting, even in simple things like sports games I rage cause I suck lol, love the pic.

Karkafi

100% true
I remember playing super mario as a kid and feeling the urge to burn any turtle I see irl

Plantarr

Actually, this is both true and untrue.

It has been afore proven that video games in fact, do not cause any aggression, and that all children had these issues before playing video games of any kind. In this way, child-friendly games are not more harmful than violent games.

However, children are most vulnerable to bad influences and aggression the moment they arise. The first time you play a video game, it will be child-friendly, and you'll undoubtably suck -- to put it nicely. Because of this, more anger is able to be vented out than at other times, and it may seem like these first childhood games are not the best.

I'd also like to point out that I'm not an expert, nor do I claim to be, although I have read my fair share of articles and know enough psychology to figure this out.

Well, I'm not going to rant, so I just kept it short. Thanks for hearing my two cents.

Meldie-2

This is so true. For example Fifa pegi rated 3+ possibly one of the most fustrating games I've ever played. Many controllers have been lost to this game

zomcri

Quote from: Meldie-2 on Apr 11, 2014, 01:30 PM
This is so true. For example Fifa pegi rated 3+ possibly one of the most fustrating games I've ever played. Many controllers have been lost to this game
True, So frustrating for Ultimate Team when your winning like 3-0 and then the other team get a comeback 3-2 and then they score on the 90th minute. Happened to me a few hours ago. My head practically blows up.. It ALWAYS happens! So annoying >:(