Apr 28, 2024, 11:39 PM

News:

Proudly established in 2010, still going!

[Science] Chinese scientists developing new “universal" blood

Started by itsConnor_, May 24, 2014, 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsConnor_

Chinese scientists are developing a new approach to create "universal" blood: red blood cells (RBCs) that can be transfused into any patient, regardless of the patient's or recipient's blood group.

Blood groups are characterised by the presence (or absence) of various proteins known as antigens on the surface of red blood cells. A major issue of these blood groups is that blood mismatching occurs when the wrong blood type is used in transfusions.  The recipient's antibodies recognise the antigens on the donor red blood cells as being foreign and attack the cells – with potentially fatal results.

Scientists from Zheijiang University have used a simple method to mask the ABO group antigens by chemically modifying the red blood cell surface with polydopamine (PDA), a mimic of the bioadhesive produced by the mussel Mytilus edulis.

The eventual aim of the work is clinical application. Having a stock of universal blood that can be transfused quickly in emergencies, or for treating people with rare blood groups where stocks are scare, would be an invaluable resource for medics.

See more at RSC's Chemistry World.
Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

XD OpticMars

Am I the only one who thinks that Japan and China are way more advanced in technology then we are? .-.

maxwolf28

Quote from: XD OpticMars on May 24, 2014, 10:16 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Japan and China are way more advanced in technology then we are? .-.
Because they are.

LaughingPickle78

Quote from: maxwolf28 on May 24, 2014, 10:57 PM
Because they are.

They invented paper as we know it, they have always been more advanced than us as far as I am aware.
China also invented guns.

Mgwllw

Quote from: LaughingPickle78 on May 25, 2014, 03:46 PM
Quote from: maxwolf28 on May 24, 2014, 10:57 PM
Because they are.

They invented paper as we know it, they have always been more advanced than us as far as I am aware.
China also invented guns.
Are you sure about the gun part? I thought they made firecrackers.