Apr 28, 2024, 03:09 PM

News:

Support us on Patreon and get exclusive perks!

Bukkit is shutting down (Or not!?)

Started by Towelie, Aug 21, 2014, 08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loasty

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 21, 2014, 09:27 AM
Summary: Bukkit is no longer shutting down and it turns out Mojang has been secretly owning bukkit for two years now. They will continue to update it. Not sure how to feel about this. On one side it's good that we still have bukkit, on the other side mojang can now practically ban any server they wish from Bukkit or even worse.
This sucks alot because now they are basically putting EVERYTHING about minecraft, servers, plugins, mods, whatever they can  into their own hands;  And if they don't like something then they can shut it down just like that :(   Thats the way i see it and its really pathetic in my opinion....
Pixelmon Admin
Need assistance? contact me on discord @ Loasty#4663

Pritis

Quote from: tady1 on Aug 21, 2014, 09:38 AM
Summary: Bukkit is no longer shutting down and it turns out Mojang has been secretly owning bukkit for two years now. They will continue to update it. Not sure how to feel about this. On one side it's good that we still have bukkit, on the other side mojang can now practically ban any server they wish from Bukkit or even worse.
This sucks alot because now they are basically putting EVERYTHING about minecraft, servers, plugins, mods, whatever they can  into their own hands;  And if they don't like something then they can shut it down just like that :(   Thats the way i see it and its really pathetic in my opinion....
It wasn't a secret. I recall them announcing it around the time they bought Bukkit, but I also recall them not really making a big deal of it because it didn't really change anything at the time. Also, in the past ~2 years, have you heard of any occasions of them shutting down servers/plugins/mods/etc? If not, then I don't think they'll really do something like that.
"My country lay within a vast desert. When the sun rose into the sky, a burning wind punished my lands, searing the world. And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death. But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin. I coveted that wind, I suppose." - Ganondorf

Loasty

Quote from: shadowjb123 on Aug 21, 2014, 09:49 AM
Quote from: tady1 on Aug 21, 2014, 09:38 AM
It wasn't a secret. I recall them announcing it around the time they bought Bukkit, but I also recall them not really making a big deal of it because it didn't really change anything at the time. Also, in the past ~2 years, have you heard of any occasions of them shutting down servers/plugins/mods/etc? If not, then I don't think they'll really do something like that.
https://twitter.com/md__5/status/502384545853751296
Thats what im basically trying to get across, What they are doing is causing alot of problems between communities, developers, and just players overall   There is so many comments on this and it seems like its just going to get worse, Thats just my personal opinion of it but we all just have to wait and see for the final outcome
Pixelmon Admin
Need assistance? contact me on discord @ Loasty#4663

ChoctheMilkman

Quote from: stormshooter on Aug 21, 2014, 09:36 AM
Oh well, its better then being stuck in 1.7.10 or going vanilla!

disagree

GRIMI_

tbh, I'd rather it dead than in the hands of mojang.

Jyncs

It may or may not be dead, it may or may not be being updated by Mojang.

I remember 3.5 years ago. I remember when this very server had hMod. I remember when it suddenly went away and we were wondering what we were going to do next. Then Bukkit came out shortly afterwards and all things were good.

Whatever the outcome, we will continue. We are SuperFunTimers, lets act like it and not panic at the first thought of something changing. Change is what we do all the time and we do it gracefully.

We will persevere

Cesspitsid

seems to be crossed off, all the words and... "edit by mojang - to be continued"

Jyncs

Because Mojang owns Bukkit. They acquired it when they hired the development team.

Appears Diinerbone is going to be updating it 1.8

What they really want is for you to start using their built in Mod API and not use bukkit anymore, but they probably realize that if Bukkit isn't updated they would lose a lot of servers and players and interest in the game because no one would update until they had something great for the new Mod API

I see this as a slow transition from Bukkit to the Mod API that they are putting in. It won't happen overnight which again is why dinnerbone and Mojang areupdating it.

emm10

I had so many mixed emotions while reading this post. There were so many changes that my mind exploded, so I'm just going to rest for a bit now.

GotAnError

Jesus Christ. I see people say "we have to overcome this obstacle" and "that this is hard to pull through". This is a video game, you're not losing your job or watching your pet die. Mojang may make the wrong choices, but they still own the game. Plus, everyone is mad because they enforced the EULA, but that is common sense for them to do that. They have their rules too. I get why people here are annoyed by this all and are trying to find a solution, but this is not a huge setback in life...
Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

Jyncs

Quote from: GotAnError on Aug 21, 2014, 02:34 PM
Jesus Christ. I see people say "we have to overcome this obstacle" and "that this is hard to pull through". This is a video game, you're not losing your job or watching your pet die. Mojang may make the wrong choices, but they still own the game. Plus, everyone is mad because they enforced the EULA, but that is common sense for them to do that. They have their rules too. I get why people here are annoyed by this all and are trying to find a solution, but this is not a huge setback in life...

I guess some of us just care about our community than others. It's fine if you don't, but do not criticize us for saying we will get through this. No one has said a word about this being a setback in life, we are talking about it being a setback in our gameplay.

GotAnError

Quote from: Jyncs on Aug 21, 2014, 04:57 PM

I guess some of us just care about our community than others. It's fine if you don't, but do not criticize us for saying we will get through this. No one has said a word about this being a setback in life, we are talking about it being a setback in our gameplay.

A community does not automatically stop when a game does. Then the community isn't really strong to begin with. I am sure nothing will end. The EULA was enforced and SFT survived so it'll survive other things too. Also, I wasn't criticising anyone; I was expressing an opinion, which is most definitely allowed.

Plus, I do care about the community. If I didn't, I wouldn't be on the forums responding to this topic.
Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

tylerinator

SAYWUT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! MOJANG HAS OWNED BUKKIT!

kwstoudt

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 21, 2014, 08:46 AM
Spigot uses bukkit sources to update so.. yeah.

Actually, Spigot updates much faster than Bukkit so I think they do their own thing...

Jyncs

Quote from: GotAnError on Aug 21, 2014, 06:40 PM
Quote from: Jyncs on Aug 21, 2014, 04:57 PM

A community does not automatically stop when a game does. Then the community isn't really strong to begin with. I am sure nothing will end. The EULA was enforced and SFT survived so it'll survive other things too. Also, I wasn't criticising anyone; I was expressing an opinion, which is most definitely allowed.

Plus, I do care about the community. If I didn't, I wouldn't be on the forums responding to this topic.

If that is not criticizing then tell me what it is. When I personally say things like this it is because I am trying to be subtle and reassure everyone that things will be fine regardless if it is a video game or some situation in real life. It's a skill that great leaders learn rather than coming out and being blunt and "express their opinion" about the situation which can only cause more panic with people.

Godswarpawn

At this rate, you kinda wish that Mojang stayed as a indie game developer.