May 09, 2024, 05:14 PM

News:

Proudly established in 2010, still going!

[Politics] Scotland vote no for independence

Started by The Lovin Spoon, Sep 19, 2014, 09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lovin Spoon

Scotland has voted to stay in the United Kingdom after voters decisively rejected independence.
With the results in from all 32 council areas, the "No" side won with 2,001,926 votes over 1,617,989 for "Yes".

Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond called for unity and urged the unionist parties to deliver on more powers.

Prime Minister David Cameron said he was delighted the UK would remain together and that commitments on extra powers would be honoured "in full".

Mr Cameron said the three main unionist parties at Westminster would now follow through with their pledge of more powers for the Scottish Parliament.

Propoganda from Groundskeeper Willie before the elections took place;

Article: ddude_stnom

Tombo_

I am also delighted that the results showed more no votes and yes votes. :D
The United Kingdom will still be United (for now at least).

Cesspitsid

Parliament probably won't allow another referendum for another 20 years or so.

itsConnor_

Quote from: Cesspitsid on Sep 20, 2014, 11:15 AM

I'll be shocked if there's another referendum in the next 30-40 years.
Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

Kooster

Quote from: itsConnor_ on Sep 20, 2014, 11:18 AM

If there is one before I turn 60, I'll be pretty surprised!

Eternal_Jamie

Sep 20, 2014, 11:27 AM #5 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2014, 11:37 AM by Eternal_Jamie

If the UK parliament doesn't sort itself out and uphold it's pledge (far more devolution than already planned) then there will be another referendum (or at least a strong push for another one). A lot of no voters were swayed by that, and a lot of yes voters are amicably accepting losing due to that promise.

stuartman9

I voted yes, not too bothered about it being a no vote as long as the UK Government devolves more powers like they said they would, mainly taxation. If they don't I can see another referendum or an uprising coming in less than 10 years.

itsConnor_

Quote from: Kooster on Sep 20, 2014, 11:25 AM

If there is one before I turn 60, I'll be pretty surprised!
Nice to see you Kooster  ;D
Quote from: Eternal_Jamie on Sep 20, 2014, 11:27 AM

If the UK parliament doesn't sort itself out and uphold it's pledge (far more devolution than already planned) then there will be another referendum (or at least a strong push for another one). A lot of no voters were swayed by that, and a lot of yes voters are amicably accepting losing due to that promise.
What other devolution is wanted? Talks are already underway and there's no way Westminster is going to not uphold its pledge. I have absolutely no idea how Westminster would approve another referendum, especially considering how resounding the result was (see here) nor why such a large proportion of Scots would be shifted to the 'Yes' camp.
Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

stuartman9

Sep 20, 2014, 11:48 AM #8 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2014, 11:54 AM by stuartman9
Quote from: itsConnor_ on Sep 20, 2014, 11:44 AM
Quote from: Eternal_Jamie on Sep 20, 2014, 11:27 AM
What other devolution is wanted? Talks are already underway and there's no way Westminster is going to not uphold its pledge. I have absolutely no idea how Westminster would approve another referendum, especially considering how resounding the result was (see here) nor why such a large proportion of Scots would be shifted to the 'Yes' camp.
We're only talking 10% of the voters that'd need to change their vote, the vast majority of people live in the central belt. Westminster may not agree to another referendum, but if they don't follow through on their promises we won't just sit here and take it.

Eternal_Jamie

Connor, that image takes it out of proportion. A significantly larger amount of areas voted no, only 400k more people voted no. Your picture twists the actual result to be far more decisive than it was due to Scotland's population spread. And it's the talks about devolution I mean, if they aren't carried through as stuart says it's likely they'll have little option but to allow another referendum in the coming years.

td998

I wouldn't be surprised if there's uprising in the next two decades. Personally, I didn't know much about this until the day after the votes happened. I wonder what the UK is going to do, I heard they would reduce taxes but that's all. Why would Scotland want to break away from the rest of the UK anyway? I probably sound stupid but I never learned anything or read anything about the relationship between Scotland and the rest of the UK. I was actually really surprised when I saw the news I was like wat