[Global News] Hungary about to tax internet data, ~$0.6 for every GB transfered

Started by Towelie, Oct 22, 2014, 10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

Quote from: portfolio.huHungary's Economy Minister Mihály Varga has on Tuesday submitted to Parliament a draft on changes to the tax regime to be implemented in 2015. An amendment of the telecom law is also included, according to which the telecom tax would be extended to Internet services. The tax will be proportionate to data traffic and every gigabyte started will cost 150 forints.

Varga has already told a press conference earlier today that the scope of the telecom tax would be extended to Internet services. He argues that the original subject of the levy, namely phone calls are made and text messages are sent mostly not traditional tools, rather through the Internet.

The base of the tax in the case of Internet service will be data traffic measured in gigabytes generated either by the subscriber or the user as specified by the law on Electronic Communication Act.

The rate of the tax is HUF 150 per every gigabyte started.

The subject of the tax is the service provider.

Fulfilment:The service provider shall calculate and pay the tax by the 20th day of the second month from the month data traffic - calls, messages sent, data traffic - was generated.

Péter Banai, state secretary responsible for budget issues at the National Economy Ministry, told an online press conference today that the Internet tax is estimated to generate HUF 20 bn for the budget.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Cr1_98

I hope they spend the extra money on things that will improve peoples lives like better healthcare, education and hosing. Although the fact the tax is payed for via the service provider means prices will most likely increase.

Towelie

Quote from: Cr1stal12131213 on Oct 22, 2014, 02:50 PM
I hope they spend the extra money on things that will improve peoples lives like better healthcare, education and hosing. Although the fact the tax is payed for via the service provider means prices will most likely increase.
And not only that. It means that the ISP's are going to start capping the monthly transfer.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Tombo_

They already take enough money away without adding tax to the one thing most people over use :P
One good outcome could be they stop taxing other things such as some food products.

Godswarpawn

At least it's not America. Government spending is too much of a problem over here. I don't know if Hungary is any better, but at this age of technology, they could make A LOT of money.