Some information and speculation on the Lizard Squad PSN and XBL Attacks

Started by Towelie, Dec 28, 2014, 02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

"Hacker" group LizardSquad, attacked Sony's PlaystationNetwork service and Microsoft's Xbox Live service on Christmas day and extending until earlier today. Here is some less known information about their attacks, obtained from news websites and other sources.

Information:
- Their attacks went as high as 1.2 TBps. This is probably the biggest ddos attack if this is true and according to them it is. In comparison, the Russian government hits some Estonian news sites with ~100Gbps tops.
- They claim that they have access to cables/devices buried in the middle of the ocean (probably the roadway connecting USA to Europe), that allow them speeds like 100Gbps. From there on, it's relatively easy to amplify the attacks using outdated NTP or DNS servers.
- Sony and Microsoft could've fixed this / mitigated the attacks with an investment of a few millions in equipment and recruiting some talented ddos experts. A few million is nothing for companies as huge as Microsoft and Sony.
- They are doing this attack "for the lulz" and to prove that nobody can get to them
- Mega founder Kim DotCom offered them 3000 vouchers to his new service "MegaPrivacy" to get them to stop. This only got them to stop for a few hours.

Speculation:

- It is rumored that the leader of LizardSquad is also the leader of FinestSquad (the group who apparently "stopped" LizardSquad from ddosing for a few hours
- It is rumored that Anonymous has threatened LizardSquad with repercussions if they did not stop the attack of the gaming services. It is a known fact that some of these videos are fake, but supposedly there are two that are real.

NOTE: I am not in any way affiliated with LizardSquad or any of the hacking groups mentioned in this post. This is just information obtained from news websites and other private sources.

NOTE: A ddos attack means distributed denial of service. It's an attack that originates from multiple computers, and usually it is spoofed and amplified using DNS/NTP servers that were not updated yet to patch the vulnerabilities. Anyone can do this with the right tools, so it doesn't require a lot of smarts, but on such a high caliber (1.2 tbps), i would imagine some skills were needed to obtain that. DDoS-ing is cnosidered hacking but actually it's something that any script kiddie can do with a certain tool.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

rens0wntnoob

how is a small group/medium sized group capable to have like, a 3500km long cable that's capable to transfer 100GBps? and that's only one cable..

Towelie

Quote from: rens0wntnoob on Dec 28, 2014, 02:50 PM
how is a small group/medium sized group capable to have like, a 3500km long cable that's capable to transfer 100GBps? and that's only one cable..
It's not their cable, they just hooked to it, if what they're saying it's true.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

katoon123

LUFC4eva

Here's an interview with Lizard Squad, Finest Squad, Anonymous & Kim Dotcom

crazygamer113

News Story About the LizardSquad if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

R1mP3x

Quote from: Towelie on Dec 28, 2014, 02:41 PM
- Mega founder Kim DotCom offered them 3000 vouchers to his new service "MegaPrivacy" to get them to stop. This only got them to stop for a few hours.
Pretty sure this is false.
Kim DotCom said that if the attacks persist from them then he will register the vouchers invalid.

Infarnape4Slurper

It was only for Xbox one and PS4, not the the 360 and PS3. I know this because me and my friend played on it for almost the whole entire day online.

Jyncs

This group is what gives hackers a bad name. They did it for the Lulz. Not for freeing information that should be free, but just because they wanted to.

This is no different then when someone attacks financial information or Social Security Numbers, all they want to do is harm, which is a form of terrorism.

True hacking is getting information that should be free for everyone to use. Information that is kept a secret by people who only are keeping it a secret to get money out of it instead of helping the human race.

IamHerrow

Additional information.

As we all may know  there is a black market for everything and for about $100 you can order a ddos for a few hours. Scary right?

Jyncs

Quote from: IamHerrow on Jan 01, 2015, 06:39 PM
Additional information.

As we all may know  there is a black market for everything and for about $100 you can order a ddos for a few hours. Scary right?

No its not scary but its ridiculous. All a DDoS for a couple of hours does is just makes the site/service unavailable for a couple of hours. Its like closing your favorite pizza place for a couple of days. Sure you want that pizza now, an it is a pain that you cannot get it right away, but wait a couple of days and you will get it again.