[Gaming] Florida housemates play games nonstop for 500 consecutive days

Started by lioneatszebra, Jan 16, 2015, 11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lioneatszebra

Think your seven-hour GTA V marathon session last night was a doozie? The residents of a house in Lakeland, Florida. would beg to differ.

As of Friday, the folks at StreamerHouse - which broadcasts on Twitch - have been playing games nonstop, every day, for 500 consecutive days. That's more than 12,000 hours of continuous button-mashing insanity.

Launched a little under a year and a half ago by Ryan "Tree" Carmichael and two friends/roommates, the money raised from commercials and viewer donations has been sufficient to pay the bills and become a full-time (albeit low paying) job for each.

The only downside? No vacation - even on holidays.

Each housemate "works" an eight-hour shift, playing a variety of games until passing off the controller. While today is certainly a milestone, the crew says they have no plans on slowing down. In fact, they plan on bringing a fourth person into the fold so they can expand the project (and get a little rest).

"It's difficult to find someone just willing to uproot their lives where they are at currently and come in here and say, 'I want to play video games all day,'" Adam Young, one of the players, told Tampa Bay ABC News affiliate WFTS.

It's not a bad way to make a name for yourself in the gaming world. Since launching, StreamerHouse has been viewed by more than 36 million people. That works out to nearly 73,000 views per day.

As part of the celebration, the gang is giving away $2,000 - and has hinted it might offer a few other goodies as well. But the big focus will be on gaming, just as it always is, only maybe with one slight twist today.

"We may crack open a beer or something," said Carmichael.
brb, living offline

Fire_Lord_Nero

Can a controller even last 500days straight? lol my hands would be like bleeding

lioneatszebra

Quote from: Fire_Lord_Nero on Jan 17, 2015, 12:00 AM
Can a controller even last 500days straight? lol my hands would be like bleeding
Lmao that's what I was wondering. Aren't they going to have like carpal tunnel and stuff now too?
brb, living offline

TheGoldenKibby

Holy... That's a lot... I think my family would disown me if I did this.

jaytan216

Tombo_

besides all the health related issues with the job, wouldn't it get a tad boring and repetitive. I understand that new games come out meaning they have something new to play but doing the same thing everyday for over a year seems a bit boring. However, it's an easy way to make a little money I suppose. :P

lioneatszebra

brb, living offline

Green_Giant

Quote from: djkirsh on Jan 17, 2015, 03:26 PM
How did their console not overheat or anything too?
I'm sure they play on multiple consoles, or that would also limit the amount of games they could play. :p

lioneatszebra

If I understood correctly, it says they streamed the gameplay and passed off the controller, so I don't think it could have been multiple consoles. Lol.
brb, living offline

Green_Giant

Quote from: djkirsh on Jan 17, 2015, 03:28 PM
If I understood correctly, it says they streamed the gameplay and passed off the controller, so I don't think it could have been multiple consoles. Lol.
True, but some news sites like to create small puns and figures of speech in their articles. Would be nice for a link to the stream though to confirm.

Fire_Lord_Nero

Well..., I don't turn off my Xbox, like ever. It never overheats. But its still amazing how they did that to be honest.