[AU News] 2 strong cyclones hit remote parts of northern Australia

Started by lioneatszebra, Feb 20, 2015, 12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lioneatszebra

2 strong cyclones hit remote parts of northern Australia
From The Washington Post

Two powerful cyclones smashed into northern Australia on Friday, with authorities ordering coastal residents to flee their homes amid warnings the storms' violent winds and drenching rains could prove deadly.

The twin storms, dubbed the "cyclone sandwich" by locals, struck early Friday, about 2,500 kilometers (1,500 miles) apart. Cyclone Lam hit a sparsely populated stretch of the Northern Territory, while the more powerful and potentially dangerous Cyclone Marcia began crossing over small coastal towns along the eastern coast of Queensland state a few hours later, packing wind gusts up to 285 kilometers (180 miles) an hour.

"Over the next few hours, many thousands of Queenslanders are going to go through a harrowing and terrifying experience," Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said. "This is a severe cyclone. I want everyone to take all the precautions that they possibly can take."

About 30,000 people living in the Queensland town of Yeppoon and surrounding areas were expected to experience the worst of the storm. More than 100 schools were closed and nearly 900 residents in low-lying areas were told to evacuate their homes.

No immediate damage had been reported, but officials pleaded with hardened Queensland residents — no stranger to violent cyclones — to take the storm seriously. A cyclone of similar strength, Yasi, hit the state in 2011, destroying scores of homes but causing no deaths.

"This is going to be a calamity, there's absolutely no doubt about that," Queensland Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said.

The Bureau of Meteorology warned that Marcia had a "very destructive core," had intensified rapidly and was likely to cause flooding.

In the Northern Territory, Cyclone Lam struck a remote stretch of coast, tearing up trees and downing power lines, but causing no major damage as it weakened and moved further inland. No injuries had been reported.
brb, living offline

Green_Giant

Sounds quite bad. I know SFT has a few people living in Australia, hope they're OK.

ChoctheMilkman

Some of my family is up there at the moment, haven't heard from them in a while..

ryan_m004

Quote from: Choc_Milks22 on Feb 20, 2015, 05:25 AM
Some of my family is up there at the moment, haven't heard from them in a while..
same here... :/
Quote from: MrEpicWonder on Dec 25, 2014, 09:21 PMi have such a good memory, an apple, an orange and a tennis ball thrown at my dick.

Tombo_

Zesty

hmmm well the one that hit where i live (my town was second worst effected as 3 days prier we had an earthquake) within 3 hours we went from a catagory 3 cyclone to a 5 (Which is the highest) and is the still going every single school on the coast of 2 stats in australia (out of 5) has been closed and most places have been asked to leave there homes so not is well :(

*note tonight there expecting 300 mils of water to fall in just tonight and a heads up the 2 cyclones hit on wednesday not friday :)*
Greed may not be good, but it's not bad, either. You humans think it's for money and power. But everyone wants something they don't have.
Survival is the only way. Live on and learn more.
Even when our eyes are closes, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams.