May 23, 2024, 07:52 AM

News:

Support us on Patreon and get exclusive perks!

[Poll] Do you like where SFT is heading?

Started by Towelie, Jul 31, 2016, 09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like where SFT is heading / Are you pleased with the recent changes?

Yes
21 (24.4%)
Somewhat (yes, but I believe the changes must continue)
51 (59.3%)
No
14 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: Aug 04, 2016, 09:41 AM

Towelie

@Fractalion
How could that be nerfed in a way that it makes it less op ?
Not just for skeletons but for other mechanics which both plugins affect as well?
Give me clear guidelines if possible (eg: disable this item in slimefun or make this mechanic in slimefun like this)

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Fractalion

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 04:04 AM@Fractalion
Not just for skeletons but for other mechanics which both plugins affect as well?
Give me clear guidelines if possible (eg: disable this item in slimefun or make this mechanic in slimefun like this)

If you wanted to make SFTMMO less overpowered, you'd have to disable pretty much every powerup, and several of the abilities.

As for slimefun, most of the talismans provide an ability that I'd consider broken in some way. Also: with the right machines you can turn cobblestone into iron. I don't make use of this myself, but I'm sure others do.

Sorry if that isn't as detailed as you would have liked, but I don't really play survival all that much anymore and I can't list specific examples of things because I don't know the names of most of the things that are broken offhand.

Towelie

Quote from: Fractalion on Aug 01, 2016, 04:24 AM

If you wanted to make SFTMMO less overpowered, you'd have to disable pretty much every powerup, and several of the abilities.

As for slimefun, most of the talismans provide an ability that I'd consider broken in some way. Also: with the right machines you can turn cobblestone into iron. I don't make use of this myself, but I'm sure others do.

Sorry if that isn't as detailed as you would have liked, but I don't really play survival all that much anymore and I can't list specific examples of things because I don't know the names of most of the things that are broken offhand.

Could use more details pretty please :S I'd appreciate if you could give me.
As for planes/vehicles - they are merely toys, they are far too glitchy/broken to be anything more than toys.
I don't want to disable ALL slimefun/sftmmo features, but I would like to resolve the broken ones which make things  basically like cheating.
Could appreciate other people's help as well in determining this

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

Darren64_NY

Fractalion

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 04:26 AM
Quote from: Fractalion on Aug 01, 2016, 04:24 AM

Could use more details pretty please :S I'd appreciate if you could give me.
As for planes/vehicles - they are merely toys, they are far too glitchy/broken to be anything more than toys.
I don't want to disable ALL slimefun/sftmmo features, but I would like to resolve the broken ones which make things  basically like cheating.
Could appreciate other people's help as well in determining this

For SFTMMO I'm not joking when I say just about every powerup is overpowered. With +Tunnel, +Gold, +Diamond, and +Iron on a pickaxe you're looking at a 4x multiplier on your mining efficiency. I can't remember the name of it, but there's a bow powerup that makes the arrow shoot in an almost perfectly straight line and deal at least 3x damage. Once you've levelled your tool up enough times, you can expect to get an xp leak of several hundred levels every now and then, which is enough experience to outfit a small army of people with enchanted gear.

For Slimefun, the two talismans that come to mind instantly are the whirlwind one and (lava walker?) one. One gives arrows a chance to bounce off of you, and the other makes it so you get fire resistance applied when you touch lava, rendering it basically harmless. As for the cobblestone->iron thing, I'm obviously not going to write the specifics here, but rest assured it is quite easy to do once you have built the necessary machines.

/steveco repair has done a tremendous amount of damage to the enchantment side of the economy as has SFTMMO's tool repair thing, which is the thing that I participated in for fun. The only real reasons to buy a new tool nowadays are if the tool costs less than a crate key, which is unlikely given that they are absolutely everywhere and everyone has them, or if you never had that tool in the first place. (or if you die, but as I've said before, that isn't likely to happen.)

Towelie

Quote from: Fractalion on Aug 01, 2016, 04:42 AMAs for the cobblestone->iron thing, I'm obviously not going to write the specifics here,
in forum pm please?
On SFTMMO, would the issue be resolved by removing the three mentioned powerups or severely nerfing them ?

Fractalion

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 04:51 AM
Quote from: Fractalion on Aug 01, 2016, 04:42 AMAs for the cobblestone->iron thing, I'm obviously not going to write the specifics here,
in forum pm please?
On SFTMMO, would the issue be resolved by removing the three mentioned powerups or severely nerfing them ?

If it were me, I'd remove them, but nerfing them into the ground would work as well.

I'll send that PM once I've compiled some screenshots.

Towelie

Quote from: Fractalion on Aug 01, 2016, 04:42 AM/steveco repair has done a tremendous amount of damage to the enchantment side of the economy as has SFTMMO's tool repair thing
I've asked darknuju to remove /steveco repair and colesy to nerf the pwoerups and remove tool repair

Lucy_23x

It appears that a large number of people are picking on what plugins are being added. I personally think the bikes, cars and planes are cool, though I am unlikely to get one, unless someone gave one to me. If the plugins do bring in more people, great! But maybe we should evaluate things first before setting them in stone.
I equally like building and survival equally, but I prefer to get my items myself (unless I'm in a mega building mood and can't be bothered to wait) because it feels more.... Like I've done it all by myself without any help. I agree with @TheHuntingHunter  saying that people can just go buy a whole ton of things. I don't understand the point of going mining, getting 50 stacks of iron, selling it all, then either hoarding the money and not using it, or use it to buy things you can get just as easily (unless it is diamonds or wither heads, etc - though this shouldn't mean you don't try) I don't really see the logic. I don't know if that's just me or what.
I am used to a shop which sells about 5 things, such as iron, coal, cobble, dirt and torches, and that's it coughfactions so having shops which sell all your pampered needs is strange to me, especially on a survival server where you're meant to get things mainly yourself.
Also what @Jyncs was saying about different presences on servers, this is true. If people see someone they don't really know on a server, they probably won't go on it, but if they see someone they do know, either a friend or an owner, they may go on. Although this, if say, a member were to see that an owner and two managers were on a server, they may avoid it as they may think work is being done on there and they don't want to disturb them.
I'd also like to add, as I said at the start, I enjoy building, and I've found on creative that I have run out of space on my two plots extremely quickly, and on the non-plots world, flat land is an extremely rare occurrence. I would just like to reccomend a "super flat world" for those who have huge builds, bigger than the plot gives, and flatter than what the non-plots would do. @Stormξηder ღ
It's hard to figure out what needs to be done, as you can't just go back to the "good old days" again, you have to try and figure out how to make the "good old days" come back to you.

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

Towelie

Quote from: Lucy_23x on Aug 01, 2016, 07:20 AMt appears that a large number of people are picking on what plugins are being added. I personally think the bikes, cars and planes are cool, though I am unlikely to get one, unless someone gave one to me
Quite honestly I see the bikes/trains/planes/etc as toys meant only to drain the economy. I actually think they help rather than hurting but I fully agree with what @Fractalion is saying and I am commited to fixing that if instructions are given to me (already I have received what I need for a first update which will be done when @ColesyM and @darknuju have time to make the appropriate modifications to SFTMMO and SteveCo

Lucy_23x

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 07:28 AM
Quote from: Lucy_23x on Aug 01, 2016, 07:20 AMt appears that a large number of people are picking on what plugins are being added. I personally think the bikes, cars and planes are cool, though I am unlikely to get one, unless someone gave one to me
Quite honestly I see the bikes/trains/planes/etc as toys meant only to drain the economy. I actually think they help rather than hurting but I fully agree with what @Fractalion is saying and I am commited to fixing that if instructions are given to me (already I have received what I need for a first update which will be done when @ColesyM and @darknuju have time to make the appropriate modifications to SFTMMO and SteveCo
I would say, bring things in that entertain new people and bring people in, people who don't like it...... Don't have to buy it :D
Why doesn't anyone think that.

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

TheStarNomad✯

Quote from: Lucy_23x on Aug 01, 2016, 07:20 AMI'd also like to add, as I said at the start, I enjoy building, and I've found on creative that I have run out of space on my two plots extremely quickly, and on the non-plots world, flat land is an extremely rare occurrence. I would just like to reccomend a "super flat world" for those who have huge builds, bigger than the plot gives, and flatter than what the non-plots would do. [attach]@Stormξηder ღ[/attach]
On the topic of running out of plots to build on, there was an idea to be able to get new plots by paying irl money for them, but I'm not sure if this breaks EULA or not.
Another idea would be to let users gain money from voting and reactions, and then have the ability to buy more plots with ingame money.

On the topic of the superflat world, I see what you mean and a poll might be made if people wish for this to happen, but with the plots and the normal world I don't really see the need for it.

Long time StarNomad

Towelie

Towelie

I have been given a list of required changes by @Fractalion  and will work on implementing them ASAP.

Lucy_23x

Quote from: Stormξηder ღ on Aug 01, 2016, 08:02 AM
Quote from: Lucy_23x on Aug 01, 2016, 07:20 AMI'd also like to add, as I said at the start, I enjoy building, and I've found on creative that I have run out of space on my two plots extremely quickly, and on the non-plots world, flat land is an extremely rare occurrence. I would just like to reccomend a "super flat world" for those who have huge builds, bigger than the plot gives, and flatter than what the non-plots would do. [attach]@Stormξηder ღ[/attach]
On the topic of running out of plots to build on, there was an idea to be able to get new plots by paying irl money for them, but I'm not sure if this breaks EULA or not.
Another idea would be to let users gain money from voting and reactions, and then have the ability to buy more plots with ingame money.

On the topic of the superflat world, I see what you mean and a poll might be made if people wish for this to happen, but with the plots and the normal world I don't really see the need for it.
What if you want a mega mega big plot

Like me? :D

TheStarNomad✯

Quote from: Stormξηder ღ on Aug 01, 2016, 08:02 AMAnother idea would be to let users gain money from voting and reactions, and then have the ability to buy more plots with ingame money.
@Lucy_23x I can try and get this implimented. Right now there's not much chance of another world.

Long time StarNomad

Jyncs

Quote from: Sparkle_Sun on Aug 01, 2016, 03:16 AMI think SFT is going in the direction it needs to. People complain that Survival is boring and needs to be spiced up, so we add plugins. And then it's too many plugins. It's impossible to please everyone. But one thing seems clear, SFT is primarily a Minecraft community and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. What Towelie's been saying is right; there aren't many games like Minecraft with such customization and server potential. The ones that are out there- Ark, Rust, LiF- aren't getting many players since our community as a whole attracts Minecrafters, because that's what we do.

Personally I'd love to get back to the actual survival aspect with a Vanilla server that's maintained well. I think it'd be a nice change after having everything you could possibly want at your fingertips on Survival. Especially for me, I have zero challenge in Survival anymore. :P

I think SFT should focus on the thriving servers it has and its cut losses on what's not working. And we've done that in a sense. We're doing the best with what we've got, and that's all you can do.

I'm going to be perfectly honest with you, if it wasn't for Rust I would probably not be writing this right now. There is nothing attracting me to stay with a gaming community that focuses solely on Minecraft any longer.

This community has attracted a large player base because of Minecraft. I've been here since the beginning -2 months. I've played minecraft. It has nothing to do with the mods, it has everything to do with the fact that I have done everything and the mods either only make that easier or do not add any real content for me to return playing Minecraft.

Minecraft will die eventually. There will always be stragglers but if we only focus on Minecraft the community will die with it. Are you going to say cut our losses then? This game has been out for over 5 years now(first release was Classic on May 17, 2009). That is a long timespan for any game. Player base is going to drop. Nothing we can do.

Building up player bases in the other servers is not going to be an overnight success like it was with Minecraft. Even Minecraft was not overnight. We started with 20 slots and it slowly increases at first and then it skyrocketed at the height of Minecraft mania. In Rust I have plastered the SFT website everywhere and we are getting a lot of EU players but 0 US players due to the high ping. It is going to take it longer to build up a player base but we are. It takes time sometimes and is not always an overnight success.

The age of the player has shifted too. It used to be more adults and teens and now it is more kids like my son who is 10. What servers does he play? He plays on minigame servers or creative servers that appeal to him or his favorite YouTuber plays on(DanTDM is his favorite). We don't have that "Wow" factor anymore or the popularity of the game behind us to keep the player base high like we did before. This is due to the popularity of the game declining.

As for a vanilla server that is well maintained I will say it again. We have had them. I maintained two of them. One of those times we fought the ender dragon with the entire 5 player base on which was fun. They are popular for about 2 weeks and then people quit them. They stop joining back to it because of the survival aspect of it. It happens every. Single. Time.

If we simply "cut our losses" and we focus solely on the popularity of Minecraft then we will die as a community when the game finally dies. I understand they are adding new things to it but it is still not that "wow" factor it had in the past at the height of it's popularity.

Towelie

@Jyncs - If rust starts working out we can find a better host for it.
The reason we hosted it on the windows machine was because the rust dedicated server for linux was broken when I tried.

Jyncs

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 12:27 PM@Jyncs - If rust starts working out we can find a better host for it.
The reason we hosted it on the windows machine was because the rust dedicated server for linux was broken when I tried.

I only said those things because the point I was trying to make is it takes time for servers to build up, not because it was a bad thing(we are getting players that we might not get if it was in a different location).

BattleAxium

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 12:27 PM@Jyncs - If rust starts working out we can find a better host for it.
Why not let Jyncs try to put it on the Linux server? I've seen it done before, so I know it works. Worst that happens is it still doesn't work but it's better than forcing Rust to be EU only since the ping is way too high for US players to deal with.

Towelie

Quote from: BattleAxium on Aug 01, 2016, 12:54 PM
Why not let Jyncs try to put it on the Linux server? I've seen it done before, so I know it works. Worst that happens is it still doesn't work but it's better than forcing Rust to be EU only since the ping is way too high for US players to deal with.

With all due respect, I believe I have the experience in installing a steamcmd dedicated server on linux.
I've been using linux for 6 years now daily and for another 3 years before SFT, as well as using it at work.
The tool was broken back then, it probably works now as they must've fixed it, and I will set it up on linux if rust does pick up.

Dpa1991

Quote from: Jyncs on Aug 01, 2016, 12:20 PMwith a gaming community that focuses solely on Minecraft any longer.

Yeaaaah, no.

BattleAxium

Quote from: Dpa1991 on Aug 01, 2016, 01:12 PM
Quote from: Jyncs on Aug 01, 2016, 12:20 PMwith a gaming community that focuses solely on Minecraft any longer.

Yeaaaah, no.

We have 8 Minecraft servers and 2-3 other servers that are active. I think he's actually spot on in saying this community is Minecraft based.

Towelie

Yeaaaah, no.
Yeah I mean truth be told these are the servers we host outside of Minecraft:

Ark PvP - Dpa
Rust - Jyncs
Life is Feudal - MrsEnder
Don't Starve Together - Lavishgamer
Minetest - Myself and aymaneto / ilax

And it's not for the lack of trying. You say we aren't advertising enough? Well I would but there is the tiny problem of us having to cut costs so we can cover our bills each month and also we no longer have a guy who makes us banners and our developer team is currently inactive/dead apart from @darknuju
Don't get me wrong @ColesyM and @fearthe1337 still help with emergency updates and so on and I couldn't ask more of them seing as they have their personal lifes / jobs and I am unable to pay them in order to make this time they spend worth something.

Dpa1991

Aug 01, 2016, 01:20 PM #49 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2016, 01:25 PM by Dpa1991
Quote from: BattleAxium on Aug 01, 2016, 01:18 PM

Yeaaaah, no.

We have 8 Minecraft servers and 2-3 other servers. I think he's actually spot on in saying this community is Minecraft based.

Soley =\= Primarily

To further add to that, I'm working on ark PVP and an ark PVE server. Jyncs is working on Rust (Unless his work no longer counts towards sft?) and Towelie is working on minetest, which while is a 1:1 clone of minecraft... it's not minecraft. We also have a dontstarve server setup as well